November 18, 1999, 2:42 a.m. "But we would not forget the 12 that we lost. So we carved their names right there in the rock!" Bonfire Memorial, 12 years later.
A verse in a popular aggie song was dedicated to the 12 fallen aggies and how we would not forget them. Last night in the chilling breeze a flood of aggies came to support each other and the families that came to remember what happened 12 years ago. It brought tears to my eyes when I heard a mother lead the memorial by calling out the names with our reply as We Remember and answering Here for the fallen as we do in Muster. She lead us in singing Amazing Grace and as we sang and put our arms around each other I looked up and while I was in the fifth row back in the circle the entire circle was full and the surrounding hills around the memorial was packed with aggies who came as the 12th man to remember the 12 aggies who fell 12 years ago..
I saw two shooting stars as I looked up into the clear sky as we silently walked back through the portals and I had the chance to briefly meet the Kerlee family who's son was Tim Kerlee. He was trapped under the logs but refused assistance until others could be saved. "Help my buddies first." . . said Tim as he lay on the fallen stack. He then directed rescue workers to five others whom he could see before allowing them to free him. So many tears were shed and prayers were whispered last night and it was one of the best experiences on campus where I have truly seen the aggie family support one another. I was also thankful to be close enough to hear everything that went on and I was able to hear everything and hug the family. I will never be able to look at bonfire the same.
A bittersweet night, I'm sure. Glad you are part of a place that values remembering.
ReplyDeleteBtw, your father thought the font was small too. So there! lol.
Love you