Monday, February 6, 2012

Love is Kind.. and Mansfield Park

"Kindness is a language the dumb can speak and the deaf can hear and understand." - Christian Nestell Bovee

One of the most atrocious characters in Jane Austen's novels is Aunt Norris in Mansfield Park. That woman is a cold-hearted, mean-spirited, self-centered, old bat. Unfortunately I've met a few people in the real world just like her-- and I'm sure you have too. Aunt Norris however is the antithesis of Fanny Price. Wow!  What a woman Fanny is! When Austen created her, she created a character who shines as a person of kindness and wisdom. Fanny might as well attach a halo and wings. She even managed she catch the eye of Henry Crawford who wouldn't know good unless it kicked him, however he notices that Fanny is different.
 When I think of Fanny, I'm reminded of Cinderella, who meekly slaves away under the abuse of her wicked stepmother and stepsisters. Like Cinderella, Fanny begins the story as nothing more than a poor relation of the Bertrams, who view her as a second-class servant than a true family member. At the end of the fairy tale, Cinderella gains a prince but never reconciles with her family. Fortunately Austen presents Fanny with a better outcome. While she certainly wins her Edmund, her own prince charming, by the book's ending she has also risen to a place of honor with the Bertrams.
 According to the book of Galatians, we reap what we sow (6:7). That principle pays off big for Fanny. After years of being mistreated and abused is the face of her selfless service and kindness, the family finally awaken to see Fanny for what she is: a very wise queen waiting to happen. Joseph Joubert, a French moralist, stated, "Kindness is loving people more than they deserve."  Fanny's individual generosities are so numerous they could fill this post, but each of these acts is colored with nuances from Scripture. Given these observations it's indisputable that Fanny manifests four major kindnesses found in Luke 6.

She 1) Does good to those who despise her, 2) Blesses those who curse her, 3) is kind to the wicked, and 4) is merciful, just as her heavenly Father is merciful. As you consider Fanny's many kindnesses, challenge yourself to follow her example. It will be hard!

Kindness #1: Fanny does good to those who despise her.
I'm not sure about you but when someone shows me their dislike or despise of me I am not too eager to be especially generous and kind to them. I am much more likely to try and ignore them and just avoid any conflict that might arise if they were rude to me. However Fanny takes these opportunities to show the dramatic difference that kindness can have in the face of hatred and disgust. Again she gives us an example of John 6 when he says we should do good to those who hate us.

Kindness #2: Fanny blesses those who curse her.
Again not my first thought when someone curses me is to bless them. You must have a humble and contrite spirit to be able to bless those who have cursed you. But having the restraint to pull away and then the love of Christ in you heart to bless them and serve them is more rewarding than any insult hurled back at them. Just like in my roommate's(Taylor) bloghttp://taypraisehisname.blogspot.com/2012/02/no-regrets-you-are-made-worthy.html she says that to love someone you have to be vulnerable with them and open yourself up if though it comes at the risk of getting hurt. Because when you open up you also open the chance to love as Christ loves. That to me is worth all the hurt and the insults that could be pointed my way.

Kindess #3 Fanny is kind to the wicked.
I have found that people find it quite easy to love those that they like or can tolerate. They are the ones that that are easy to serve. However it is those that get under our skin and make us wish we were anywhere else but with them that is hard to serve in love. They could have done terrible things to us and others that we are also called to love. Jesus dined with sinners, had his feet washed by a prostitute, and had even more prostitutes in his family lineage. A goal for me is to approach the people that have annoyed me this semester and talk to them and see how I can love them. They may be going through a lot and have chosen a less liked route to let out their pain.

Kindness #4 Fanny is merciful, just as her heavenly Father is merciful.
Mercy is my saving grace is life. I have screwed up more times than I count however God knows the exact number and the exact things that I have done but still is merciful to me and forgives me and loves me. Fanny exemplifies this and shows mercy to those that have done her wrong and deserve to be punished. Instead she offers mercy, grace, and love. She allows them into her family and her heart. I mean come on! They hurt her SOOO bad but she opens her heart once again and loves them!! That is incredible but also very convicting to me. How many times has someone wronged me and I have not extended mercy to them and offered my love once more? This has been a prayer of mine to be able to have the help to extend mercy to those I truly don't want to reach out to again. This again calls for your heart to vulnerable which is hard when you have been hurt once before by someone. It is much easier to close that door and build a wall decorated with smiles and laughs and pretend.

My life is always changing and my so is my walk with God. Always a new turn in the road to learn to drive. I look forward to it now. It is an adventure... which is something everyone wants right? I know I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment